The Office of Medical Education announces an exciting opportunity for academic year 2014-2015. We are seeking applications from MD and PhD faculty to fill 10 positions as Core Faculty for the new "Layers of Medicine" course, which begins in August 2014.
The Layers of Medicine course is a longitudinal, 2-year course in the pre-clerkship curriculum. The overarching goals of the Layers of Medicine course are to provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to:
- Provide compassionate care to a diverse patient population
- Understand the complexities of a changing health care system and how access to health care impacts patient outcomes
- Practice medicine informed by ethical principles
- Analyze the impact of social, economic, gender, and cultural factors on health care outcomes
- Develop a positive professional attitude
- Appreciate and manage the influence of personal values and attitudes on relationships with patients
- Find and utilize resources and information required for optimal patient care.
Faculty applicants should have a passion for aforementioned core issues and an interest in small group teaching for pre-clerkship medical students. Selected faculty will be assigned a cohort of approximately 10-12 first year students with the aim of providing consistent, progressive teaching and assessment on the Layers of Medicine curriculum. Faculty are expected to follow their cohort of students throughout the longitudinal, 2-year Layers of Medicine curriculum. Small group teaching sessions will be approximately one hour and will occur on approximately an every other week basis from August through May of each academic year.
The role of a Layers of Medicine Core Faculty member would require approximately 4% effort; selected faculty would have $6,348 transferred to their primary departments to support their work.
We hope you will strongly consider this exciting and meaningful opportunity to participate in our medical students' education. Interested faculty should reply to Michael Lauder (email@example.com) by no later than the close of business, May 16, 2014, with the following information:
- A cover letter with a brief description of your prior teaching experiences and interest in a Layers of Medicine Core Faculty position
- A letter of support from your department chair.
Candidates will be notified by May 23, 2014.
Questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Sara Lamb (firstname.lastname@example.org).